… and why no one tends to win.
Role 1: The Troll turned Fish
- BAIT – find or happen upon a topic which is emotionally loaded and complex, then turn it into a binary issue.
- REEL – when someone tries to acknowledge complexity of the topic, reify the binary and raise the stakes.
- CATCH – push someone with repeated REELING until they fall into BAITING you.
- Now perform role 2.
Role 2: The Fish turned Troll
- BITE – find or happen upon someone presenting an emotionally loaded and complex topic that you care about as a simple binary issue.
- HOOKED – appeal to rationality, argument and evidence, and when that fails, resort to exaggeration, exasperation and then insult.
- CAUGHT – get so frustrated you want to punish the troll and fall into BAITING them.
- Now perform role 1.